Monday 18 May 2009

Pocket Wizard Flash Triggers: Part I

I have wanted to buy a set of Pocket Wizards for a while now, but have been having trouble trying to justify spending close to £600 on a set. I have two SB800s and am looking to add another to my collection, so that really increases in the cost as I would need 4 of those pricey little buggers!

I am currently using Nikon's Creative Ligthing System (CLS), but am beginning to want a bit more range or through wall action! I have had a look at the povertyWizards and gadgetInfinities but after reading reviews and listening to other peoples comments they dont seem that reliable.

Thankfully there looks like there maybe an alternative after all! I will build my own!!! Although I dont have a great deal of electronics experience, I have seen there is a "strobit open source project" to build your own triggers. With a wealth of knowledge out there on the internet I am going to try to build my own set. I have just ordered up a few componenets and an electronics book and will keep my blog updated with my progress.

I will say thanks to Stephen Eaton for his help already and for kindly sending me a couple of PCB boards to get me started! (They arrived this morning 20/5, so will be playing very soon!)

No comments: